Monday, November 17, 2014

Taking a break from cholera in favor of playoffs and book debuts!



We are recovering from a big weekend in the Higgins household.  My son’s football team made the playoffs and we got to watch the team play at Ralph Wilson Stadium, home of the Buffalo Bills!  My parents, who drove in from New England for the weekend, informed me that the last time they were at the stadium it was called Rich Stadium, they were seated in one of the corporate boxes, and OJ Simpson was playing.  I warned them that if they were to join us they must now call the stadium The Ralph, they must not complain about the cheap seats, and above all, they must not speak of OJ.  They agreed and made arrangements to rent a car for the trip.

I can't believe that in the year 2014 the administrators at Catholic schools still operate under the misguided notion that mothers don’t have jobs outside the home.  I give you as proof of this misunderstanding the fact that the game was scheduled at 5 p.m., requiring just about every working mother to arrange to leave her place of employment early in order to make it to the stadium on time.  So, at 4:30, with Granny and Grumpy in tow, we headed for The Ralph!  It was exciting to see our boys up on the jumbotron as we sat on the 30 yard line.  It was like being at a real NFL game.  We experienced falling snow, biting wind, and, sadly, defeat on Thursday night.  Not only did the St. Joe’s Marauders lose, but later that night the Bills failed to “squish the fish” and lost to the Miami Dolphins.  Later, in the warmth of our home, we licked our wounds, as well as the bottom of our hot chocolate mugs and refocused on the next adventure in our weekend.



The big event the following evening was the debut of A Whisper of Bones, the second book in the Orphans and Inmates series.  What were we thinking scheduling such an important event on a Friday night at seven p.m.?  As many of you know, I own a doggy daycare.  I am not sure if I am the only woman with a Ph.D. who cleans up dog poop, drool, and vomit for a living, but it's worth mentioning just in case!  For eleven hours a day, five days a week, my world is loud, smelly and hairy!  To schedule an event only one hour after we close for the day is always risky, particularly on a weekend.  However, the universe cooperated and with the help of the best staff a small business owner could hope for, I was out the door by 6:45!

You may wonder why I chose a small, yet stunning, shop to debut my second book.  It is an antique shop, not a book store, filled with expensive and breakable stuff.  Why would the owners of The Antique Lamp Company and Gift Emporium agree to play host to a bunch of historical fiction fans?  Well, this luminary wonderland was the inspiration for a similar shop in my book.  It was the perfect place for the debut of Whisper and I could not have conjured more gracious hosts.  The experience is an outstanding example of the power of small business.  There was tremendous support from our local small business association, and another nearby establishment, Caruso’s Italian Imports, kindly provided some savory treats for our guests to enjoy while they shopped.  The turnout was larger than I have seen for other authors at big chain bookstores.  All in all, the evening was a complete success.  I sold a lot of books and introduced my readers to one of the many gems in the Hertel Avenue business district.  As the holiday season approaches remember that books make wonderful gifts and shop local wherever you can!


No comments:

Post a Comment