Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A chance to give back

A great deal has happened since last we spoke!  I am pleased to report that I am able to check one thing off of my creative/scholarly "To Do" list.  We gave our presentation at the Museum of disABILITY History last Friday.  The idea of studying early urban poverty through the lens of disability is of great interest to me and I always enjoy comparing ideas with my new friends at the Museum.  There was a great crowd of interested and knowledgeable folks and they made the evening very enjoyable with their insights and thoughtful questions.  Many Buffalonians are very interested in our city's great history and some of them have been helpful in both my scholarly and creative pursuits.  I met one of the most brilliant and talented scholars of early Buffalo a few years ago.  She was interested in my work and contacted me about it.  We became fast friends and she has made significant contributions to just about every project I have worked on since then.

I finally got a chance over the weekend to visit the Research Library at the Buffalo History Museum.  I have been wanting to get back there ever since I found out that they now have the Proceedings of the Erie County Board of Supervisors for the period that the Erie County Poorhouse was at its original location in Black Rock.  There is not much known about the early history of the poorhouse.  Until now, we have only had the inmate records to study.  These Board of Supervisors Reports contain resolutions that were passed regarding the management of the poorhouse, budget issues and references to the reports filed by the Keeper of the Poor.  The only problem is that they are next to impossible to read!

Report of the Proceedings of the Erie County Board of Supervisors, 1830, from the Buffalo History Museum


The original documents are hand written, as opposed to the typed version in later years, and they only exist on microfilm, reverse negative microfilm, no less!  It is hard enough reading nineteenth century hand writing, let alone nineteenth century handwriting on reverse negative microfilm!  I was only able to get through the first three years before my head was spinning.  Needless to say, I need a new plan!  I learned that the level of detailed record keeping that we have been so impressed with during the later period of the poorhouse's history evidently evolved over time.  The resolutions passed in these early proceedings often refer to the need for more detailed reports and improvements in tracking items that were purchased for or produced at the asylum.  As yet, no actual report from the Keeper of the Poor, so I will be interested to note when they started to include the full Keeper's Report in the County Proceedings.  This will be a slow process and I will, of course keep you informed as I go!

Now on to a more personal topic.  In 2004 we lost our 11 year old son after a nearly year long battle with a rare form of pediatric cancer.  There are no words to describe that experience.  Over the ten years since he died, we have been stunned to realize that pediatric cancer gets very little public attention and even less money.  For years my husband and I have been searching for a way to make a meaningful contribution. September marks Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month.  Starting on September 1 and going through December 31, 2014 we will donate 100% of our profits from the sale of Orphans and Inmates to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.  We have chosen St. Jude's because not only do they do pediatric cancer research, they also help the families who are in a battle for their children's lives.  It is our hope to raise some awareness and some money for a very important cause.

Orphans and Inmates is available on line at:
Locally the book is available at:
Floral Explorations
1448 Hertel Ave, Buffalo, NY 14216
(716) 838-4916

The Antique Lamp Company and Gift Emporium
1213 Hertel Ave, Buffalo, NY 14216

Dog Ears Bookstore and Café
688 Abbott Rd, Buffalo, NY 14220
(716) 823-2665

Talking Leaves
3158 Main St
Buffalo, NY
(716) 837-8554

Talking Leaves
951 Elmwood Ave
Buffalo, NY
(716) 884-9524
  
Old Editions Book Shop and Café
74 E Huron St, Buffalo, NY 14203
(716) 842-1734

The Buffalo History Museum
1 Museum Ct, Buffalo, NY 14216
(716) 873-9644

The Museum of disABILITY  History
3826 Main St
Buffalo, NY
(716) 629-3626



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fascinating project and the St. Jude donation is a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete